At Fosse Way Academy, we aim to promote the fundamental British values of democracy,
the rule of law, individual liberty, and mutual respect and tolerance of those with different
faiths and beliefs.
Actively promoting these values means challenging opinions or behaviours in school that are
contrary to fundamental British values. Attempts to promote systems that undermine
fundamental British values would be completely at odds with the school’s duty to provide
The Teachers’ Standards expect teachers to uphold public trust in the profession and
maintain high standards of ethics and behaviour, within and outside school. This includes
not undermining fundamental British values.
Through our provision of SMSC we hope to:
- enable students to develop their self?knowledge, self?esteem and self?confidence;
- enable students to distinguish right from wrong and to respect the civil and criminal law of
- encourage students to accept responsibility for their behaviour, show initiative, and to understand how they can contribute positively to the lives of those living and working in the locality of the school and to society more widely;
- enable students to acquire a broad general knowledge of and respect for public institutions and services in England;
- further tolerance and harmony between different cultural traditions by enabling students
to acquire an appreciation of and respect for their own and other cultures;
- encourage respect for other people; and
- encourage respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic processes, including respect for the basis on which the law is made and applied in England.